Tactical Breather (formerly known as the “Tactical Breathing Trainer”) received second place in the “General Wellness” category during the Apps4Army (A4A) competition.
The Tactical Breather is a free application that can be used to gain control over physiological and psychological responses to stress.
The Tactical Breathing Trainer App is developed by the National Center for Telehealth and Technology. Through repetitive practice and training, anyone can learn to gain control of your heart rate, emotions, concentration, and other physiological and psychological responses to your body during stressful situations using this iphone application. Many of the techniques taught in this application were provided with permission by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman from his book “On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace”.
Although these techniques were developed primarily for the warfighter during intense combat situations, anyone can benefit from the ideas taught in this application to help with nearly any stressful situation in life.
– Introduction Narrative to the Benefits of Tactical Breathing
– Tutorial on how to use Tactical Breathing
– Practice Mode to help you learn
– Settings Page to change voice gender and graphics preferences
– Excerpt Page provided by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman that displays several chapters from his book
How to Use the App
- Keep your IMAGE of calm in your mind, during the hold – look inside to the calm – the peace you have while you are not rushing the breath. And realize that every breath you take has that moment of calm –allow it, recognize it.
- In Your car
- on the way to a call
- right after, before you go into your house